Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Planning the Exhibition

I have been grappling with the difficulty of exhibition of these death masks in association with the larger paintings.  Upon discussing it in critique and with Michael Banning, fantastic artist, I have come to a right conclusion.  Though I feel that they are conceptually linked with ideas of individuality in the broader collective social structure within which we live, and that of cross-examination of the self and others, they are not linked in an aesthetic or logically physical way!  I have decided to separate them for the exhibition.  The two halves of this project individually carry enough aesthetic and conceptual weight to merit their division in terms of proximity.  I feel like this move in no way interrupts the impact of this work, nor the conceptual or aesthetic meaning.  In fact, I think it helps to move them apart from each other.  For the final exhibition, the larger paintings will be displayed in a hallway on the first floor of the MCAD main building, and the masks will be located somewhere else on the first floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment